Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Europe Tour Part 03

After visiting Paris, I headed to Amsterdam next week. It was my dream to visit Amsterdam. I reached Amsterdam on 28th April 2012 night. Though It was cold and windy, I got out with my camera to take some amazing night shots of Amsterdam.
Amsterdam at Night
Amsterdam is the largest city and capital of Netherlands. The name is derived from the dam on the river Amstel. With my dutch friends John and Aukje, we visited different parts of the city and buildings. We made a boat trip through the canals of Amsterdam. I ate totally raw haring fish in pure dutch style. We also visited a small craft museum, where we saw traditional wooden shoes, cheese, clothing etc.
Me with my friend John and Aukje
Traditional wooden shoes
We visited Nemo, designed by Architect Renzo Piano. It is a kids science museum, which looks like a ship. Beneath it there is a road tunnel connecting other part of the city. We also visited Whale a residential building resembling whale in shape. It is designed by Architekten Cie. It was quite a impressive building in terms of massing, fenestration.
Nemo by Architect Renzo Piano
The whale by de Architekten Cie
Inner Court of the whale
The traditional pitched roof brick houses were impressive.  There was a hoisting steel plate at the top of each house to lift goods to different floors through large windows. There are numerous famous buildings all around Amsterdam. Unfortunately I couldn’t able to visit all of them in time. I wish I could spend few weeks in Amsterdam to explore all the places.

No comments:

Post a Comment